Thursday, 15 November 2012

Deep Fried Starfish!!!!!

Another Thursday, another beautiful day to spend in the kitchen..... not....

Okay, today was not as exciting as the classes before. We started at 11 am, 2 hours later than we usually do. Me and four other people were late. I was late because I was watching cooking videos on Youtube and I lost track of time. I don't know why others were late. One of my friend, Jay, was super late. He set his alarm clock wrong. He set it to ring at 4 pm!!
Anyways, today's class was about food hygene and cross contamination. Our ingredients were things that can go bad quickly if not handled right. We made Chicken Coleslaw, Fish Salad, and Sushi. All those things has raw ingredient in them that will go bad quickly if not handled or stored in the proper way.

The coleslaw was a good practice for julienne cuts. I did fine with the cabbage, but the carrots was not very good. My knive is a little dull. I have to sharpen it with the stone (haven't had time to do that). So, it took me quite a long time to julienne the carrot, and the cuts were not really tidy (though it got better at the end). The chiken was poached, cooled, and deep fried. I also made the mayonaise myself. And here's what my Chicken Coleslaw looked like:

deep fried starfish
Chiken Coleslaw


After I uploaded this photo to Instagram, I realised something: the chicken strips arrangement totally looks like a deep fried starfish. Look at the one at the back, it looks like Patrick Star's head!!! omg lol~

After lunch we made fish salad, Salmon Salad. I did not do well. I am always the worst with salads. I always don't know what to make, I don't know how to make a good dressing, I don't know anything about salads!!! I'm terrible!!!

The last dish we made is my favorite! SUSHI!
I don't really remember if I ever made sushi before. My mom used to make them for my lunch at school. Maybe I've seen her made one and tried to make it, but failed.
One of the reason why I was late today was because I was watching videos of how to make sushi. I wanted to make the one that looks like a cone.
Without any sushi making skill, I tried to make the cone sushi right away. Aaaaandddd the result was....

Total fail.

I spread too much rice and it looked horrible! I tried to fix it, but I made it worse. So, I decided to make a simple sushi roll filled with salmon, cream cheese, avocado, and cucumber. Cream cheese, yes! It is an odd thing to add to a sushi, but in Indonesia, there is a sushi restaurant that sells sushi with cream cheese and it taste amazing!

I already plated my sushi, but I still want to make a sushi cone. I still have some rice left, so I decided to make a mini sushi cone which ended up as a normal sized sushi cone. I was so happy that I finally made one.

Sushi!
 I'm gonna have coleslaw for dinner tonight and for tomorrow's brunch (or lunch) and dinner and maybe I'll be eating coleslaw all weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment